August 6, 2007

I Just Work Here Man

Last weekend feels like an age away because of the events of the last week but I feel like I should revisit a part of it. Namely the parts were I went and saw Gotye on Saturday night and Sunday afternoon at the Metro Theatre on George Street in Sydney.

On Saturday I went with Edna. We saw queued outside for the doors to open, the man himself said ‘Hi’ as he was on his way to grab some food before the gig. We waited in the foyer by the door and then we grabbed a spot on the front railing to the left of the stage. We had a great view. We could practically see his nose hair (if he had any;-).

But first we had to get through the support band that we had neither heard of nor seen before. Mountains in the Sky were a two piece band that came out onto stage wearing white hoodies. One sat behind a drum kit the other stood at a keyboard and proceeded to explain that a technical hitch meant he was using a strange keyboard and any odd sounds that emitted were not meant to happen. Edna and I looked at each other and said a sarcastic ‘Ohh goodie!’ As it happened there were no odd sounds (I think) and their entire set flowed seamlessly from one track to the next. I wasn’t sure it that was because they all sounded the same or because of clever playing. It was kinda hypnotic though and brought the CD for further listening.

- The Only Way

After a forty-five minute break and a chance to buy merchandise (yes, I got a t-shirt) the lights dimmed again and the first beats of ‘The Only Way’ saw the crowd roar and me melt. I love this song! The next one up was equally as loved, off his Boardface album ‘Out Here in the Cold’. Considering the way he made the album Like Drawing Blood (all sampled) I was interested to see how this would be done. The poster boasted a mini orchestra and there were indeed violins, cello, saxophones, flutes and more drums than you can poke a stick at. Gotye himself (Wally de Backer) was seated up front centre (unlike at Basics gigs were he’s hidden at the back) behind a drum kit. But didn’t I hear him say in interviews that even the drums were sampled? It appears that he has sat down and written out all the music. Of course I know nothing all about music, except what I like and what I don’t, so please correct me if I’m wrong. If this is what’s happened, what a clever little bugger he is!


- The drums get a beating

The stage was back dropped with a giant screen and the data projector suspended from the roof was giving me the jitters but I relaxed once I saw the quality animation and films that matched perfectly with the music. Ink in water, cartoons of boys with balloons and the mostly black and white (there was a bit of red in there) alien abduction fitted perfectly with ‘Coming Back’.

- Singing 'Thanks for you Time'

The time that he was on stage passed in a flurry. He introduced those playing on stage with him one at a time and thanked the audience at least three times for coming to see him. I get the feeling that he is still surprised that he is getting to play the packed houses of over a thousand at a time. Edna and I left the theatre on a high and with the feeling that he does this for love and nothing else. I also get the feeling that the lyrics of ‘Thanks for your Time’ will never be issued while he’s working.

Sunday was very much the same except for the company. Syms Covington was there, as was June and Hubby. Once again we were front row but to the right this time, different angle for the photos. Mountains in The Sky had a different energy from the night before, maybe less of whatever then had to give them bounce, after all it was only three in the afternoon. With a daytime crowd, the audience had a younger feel and the screaming proved the crowd was very much younger. It gave the concert a glow it hadn’t had the night before. Both concerts were great and I would without a moments hesitation go and see this exceptionally talented and rather strikingly good looking fella play again.

No comments: