October 28, 2006

I went on a Bus!

After wandering around Bondi Junction for a few hours on my own and then with Edna, purchasing goodies such as cossies, work clothes (see her blog for that tale), make up and a snazzy new fountain pen for me, we decided to go to Newton and look in Reactor Rubberwear, Wildthing and Gallery Serpentine. All fall into the category of ‘bad’ shops for me, (bad shops = likely to spend money in them, good shop = not like to spend money in them).

Because my hubby had the car for the day we were required (by distance) to take public transport, options were Train or bus. Edna opted for the bus, so I dug deep for some change and followed her on. It seems that people don’t queue anymore so I was jostled before I finally got to ask for a ticket. The bus was nearly full so we were seated separately. After 10 yards the bus stopped again and another 40 people tried to squeeze in, including an old lady. My manners being what there are, meant I offered her my seat, which meant I was now forced to stand in the ‘No Standing’ area near the rear doors.
Another 10 yards, 1 person got off, 10 got on. How many people can they fit into the sardine can. No wonder they have those little hammers above all the windows!

We finally made it to the spot were we had to change buses. Buddha on a bus! After all there were no bicycles involved. I had to walk to another stop and wait nearly 15 minutes for the connecting bus.

When the next one arrived, it was partially full and we had the luxury for a few yards of putting our shopping bags down. But it was not to last, for at the next stop we were shuffled down to the back of the bus to hang on for dear life. I was starting to get a little comfortable when we swung into a corner that saw me slowly leaning back, trying not to lose my footing, as I was forced to lean further and further back by the way the driver took the corner. I couldn’t see the face of the woman in the seat behind me, but I’m pretty sure she was panicking that I was about to land in her lap. I didn’t, but soon after I found a spot to wedge myself so it didn’t happen again.

We arrived at our location at the top of King Street and Enmore Road to be rewarded with yummy ice cream in Dolce and Gelato.

(437 words)

No comments: