June 7, 2007

Yes...but is it Art?

After all the reviews I’ve read and heard I still thought to myself, I’m going to go and see for myself, it can’t possibly be that bad.

I glad to say that all the negativity got it wrong, not totally, but a bit.

Pirates of the Caribbean – At Worlds End, was a bit ropey and far too long but I enjoyed it. I loved seeing Cap’t Jack having delusions that involved many copies of him. I enjoyed the bit where it was revealed that there are in fact 9 pieces of eight. I even laughed a bit or too. I loved the costumes again and the special effects of the crew of The Flying Dutchman. Once again Gareth from from The Office (aka Mackenzie Crook) stole every scene he was in, except perhaps the Johnny Depp ones but then even those lost a little of the originals spark.
The action was great, the cast was amazing, the story sucked!

THERE BE SPOILERS BEYOND…me hearties!

It’s sad when you have a movie that is such a runaway success that the producers feel that they JUST have to make more, then go a spoil it. I like that the crew of the Black Pearl got another adventure, but really Will Turner is never going to strike fear into the hearts of sailors the way Davy Jones did. And why, oh why did they feel the need to include that Singapore stuff then kill off most of the charaters. What happened to Calypso after she was released (by the way where the hell did that charater come from?) apart from making a big storm? She didn't wreak havoc on the sailors as she seemed to be promising after she was discovered. How on earth did they manage to turn the Black Pearl over just by running from side to side... I could go on and on but I won't.

It’s a shame but I feel that even though I enjoyed it and will almost certainly add it to my DVD collection (even if only to complete the set) this one really only deserved a rating of,

2.5 flounders out of 5

1 comment:

Edna Wilt said...

It was a pile of pirate poo! That's what it was!