June 20, 2007

Protection Racket

Recently my mother instinct kicked in. Not the part that make me want babies (thank god!), but the bit that make me want to protect something good and innocent.

Sally, sits two desks away and one six foot divider from me. Or I should say DID, until she had her employment ‘Annulled’ yesterday in what can only be described as a kneecapping.

She started with the company in February as a contractor. She preformed well (I presume, I don’t work with her) and was encouraged to apply for her job as a permanent member of staff. She applied, jumped through hoops in three interviews (standard for this company) and was told that her ‘start’ date was at the beginning of May.

It started alright! Her new manager started giving her a hard time; emails every two minutes, keeping a log of her attendance, talking to her like she was a piece of sh*t, telling her, her work is wrong, but not what’s wrong etc. She’d have a go in front of other staff members, but NEVER higher management and worst still when higher manage was notified, she did nothing. I have no idea whether Sally’s work was good or bad, but nobody deserves to be treated like I have heard and witnessed.

Anyway…I’m currently incensed by the injustice of it.

Yesterday at a meeting disguised as Probation Action Review Meeting (I went as independent witness) she was handed a document stating how crap she was and how good Manager is. She was told to leave the building and hand in her badge. When she said she wished to leave the meeting and got up to go, Manager turned to HR and said ‘see, this is what I have to put up with’. HR said nothing. I resisted pinning her to the wall, as I have wanted to do for a couple of weeks now.

Today, I have heard the Manager, Higher Management and lower Staff talking about Sally, in a very negative and whole inappropriate way by slagging off her work.

Now, as a contractor I have to watch myself because the slightest rumour or nastiness about me could result in my contract being terminated. So I now have to keep my head down, my ear to the ground and protect my ample arse at all costs.

No comments: