August 3, 2006

Those that can’t do…manage!

I currently work as a contract instructional designer for a very large world wide charge card company. I’ve been here on and off since October last year, they like my work so much, they keep asking me back. So when the team leader told me she was leaving and that I should apply for her job I gave it thought. When her manager came to me and told me that she would like me to apply for her job, I gave it a little more thought, then did.

I figured after 10 years of contracting a little stability would do me some good and to top it off I actually quite like doing this job a lot more than project management.

So, I applied, as requested. That was 6 weeks ago.

Until today I had heard no more about it until sitting in the team meeting, with all my colleagues and the new Director of Training and the Director who asked me to apply when she announced that from the many resume/cv’s received, they are currently interviewing ‘external’ candidates (I’m classed as external, ‘cause I’m a scum-bag-contractor) and that next week they will start interviewing Internal candidates.

Why to tell me I hadn’t been selected, even though you asked me to apply!

I think I held it together quite well, although Edna did inform me (she was sitting next to me in the meeting) that I lost a little colour. The Director though was worse by all accounts, the instant she started speaking she realised she’d fucked up, but rather than cutting it short she continued to explain more details.

The longer I contract, the more the title of this entry proves itself to be true.

Not being a smoker, I immediately consoled myself with a whole bag of Naturals Jungle Animals and a Boost juice.

(306 words)

No comments: