August 6, 2006

Alpaca Pride

The Hubby and I spent our day on Saturday amongst the warm smells and humming sounds of alpacas. It was our regional Spring Show, yes I know it’s technically still winter, but some bright spark thought it would be good to move the venue two months out and we could only get this date. Better planning might be in order for next years show!

Anyway…I took three of our four animals to the show. It’s been a while since I pranced around the show ring struggling to keep an animal in-line and get it to walk the way it needs to for the judge to have a good look, but it brought back a few memories (the one other show I attended with Wispa) and some pain to my arse bone.

But I have good news today, in fact, FANbloodyTASTIC news, dear reader, between them they brought home FOUR ribbons. Alto was the first of my animals in the ring (Intermediate Male Grey/Roan) he came second and I was more than a little chuffed. Then, a little later Wispa, Alto’s mum got a turn in the Senior Female Grey/Roan class; she also came out with a red ribbon to hang on the wall. But our recent addition to the herd made me very proud. Between Alto and Wispa, Arabella (nicknamed Beckham because of her funky fringe) strutted her stuff in the Mature Female Grey/Roan class and came out with not only a blue first ribbon, but a Green Reserve Class Champion ribbon too.

So today, I feel really good, if a little sore, but quite frankly the celebratory drinks last night have that covered!

(274 words)

Alto - waiting in the line up before winning a red ribbon for second in the class

Arabella 'Beckham' wins first in her class and class reserve champion

Wispa wait patiently while the Judge shakes my hand after rewarding her a red second in class ribbon

No comments: