October 23, 2007

David Jones verses Myer

Over the course of the last few months I have had need of the services of many shopping establishments. David Jones has always been a firm favourite of mine due to their excellent service, decent brands and the fact I have a store card with them.

Myer on the other hand (or Grace Brothers until recently) have been good to me, but I never really liked their service levels and their choice of brands is sometimes lacking. Neither the less I have shopped there.

Last week I had to buy a washing machine, STAT! My lovely old Bosch that was purchased upon arrival in Australia had died. The serviceman had told me I needed a new motor and it was going to cost $600 plus to fix. So, time for a new machine. It was Friday, 3.30 in the afternoon and I went to David Jones in the hope of getting one delivered on Monday. I had a stack of washing that needed doing.

Apart from the only front loading machines being on display being Miele and all over $1500 I found the guy about as useful as a chocolate fireguard. I explained that it was an emergency and that I was rapidly running out of knickers, but he was unmoved. They had loaded the truck for Monday already and delivery could only happen on Wednesday.

So I went to Myer. My first question was, ‘can you deliver Monday?’ “NO, but you could pick it up.’ Bingo!

David Jones 0 Myer 1

This weekend I was looking for fairy lights on a white cord (for a light feature above my bed). I went into DJ’s and they had a white tree with white lights on a white cord. Bingo! But looking through the shelves of lights I could only find green corded lights, so I asked one of the many staff milling around. He looked on the shelf and didn’t find any, so he said he’d ask. He came back and informed me that that tree had been created for the catalogue only and that the lights displayed were not available for sale. False Advertising just took a point away.

So off I went to Myer. They had a small Christmas display and only a few lights out. The rest seemed to still be on brown boxes stacked on the pallet infornt of the shelf holding the lights. When I tried to find someone to ask, I waited and looked for 10 minutes. So I left.

I ended up getting the lights I needed in a shop dedicated to Christmas. The place was like a special kind of hell.

David Jones -1 Myer 1

Let the battle continue.

No comments: