September 10, 2007

Silverfinger/Powderchair

Until recently I had no idea the music I was listening to on the radio was by either of these bands. Then Silverchair brought out ‘Straight Lines’ and Powderfinger released ‘Lost and Running’. I was hooked, love both these songs, I brought the current albums. Then I got a couple of back catalogue. Then, when I saw tickets for a concert called ‘Across the Great Divide’ that saw both these bands playing together I had to get tickets.

Saturday night I went to see them (missed backup band Youth Group, sorry fella’) with Trixy, Rachel, Hubby and June. Edna couldn’t make it as it was the last night her folks were in town, so we had a seat for coats and merchandise.

The stage was a long way away, but we had a clear view from our seats in the gods (door 62 row H). I felt like I was in the Hopetoun when I looked down. There was a black stage with a couple of speakers, a few mic stands, a keyboard and a drum kit. The only thing that looked different was the backdrop, very industrial rather than blackout curtains. Even the feedback gave me that Welcome Home feeling.

Don’t get me wrong, the gig was awesome. It was a big little gig by two amazing Aussie bands that gave good concert. Both Daniel Johns (leader singer of Silverchair) and Bernard Fanning (lead singer of Powderfinger) had plenty of interaction with the crowd. But it was of the classic ‘raise your hands in the air’, ‘I want to see how much noise you can make’ and ‘Everybody say Whoa!’

You guys ROCK!

No comments: