September 24, 2007

Are You My Mommy?

After a day of ironing and watching Season Three of House on DVD, I needed to get out of the house on Sunday so I picked up the car and went to Bondi Junction for a spot of shopping. Actually it was window shopping but seeing as the wind was doing its best to freeze part of the anatomy off I felt window shopping inside a shopping centre was the way to go. Ohh… and I had to buy a pair of gym shorts.

Some lunch and a few kilometres of walking later, I left the shopping centre to pick up Todd for some more window shopping of the increasingly expensive kind. Car shopping. He’s getting a car when he goes back to the States later in the year and he wanted to suss it all out here first. So we took a test drive. Afterwards when we where sitting with the salesman and Todd is explaining how he’ll be paying cash in a few weeks time (anything to try and get out there without signing paperwork), the salesman turns to me and asks if I was his mother.

This isn’t the first time I been mistaken for being older than I am, but I have never been mistaken for being in my fifties. I politely explained that I was a mere twelve days older than my son and that I was a medical miracle at being able to give birth at such a young age. Then I suggested that the eighteen year old salesman keep his age suspicions to himself in future.

What I should have said is that with a female more insecure about her age he could very well have lost the sale.


Todd and I laughed about it for at least three more hours, before we started laughing at Matt Lucas as Sharon's sister on Kath and Kim.

1 comment:

Edna Wilt said...

Wasn't he divine!? Matt Lucas, that is. I'm surprised you watch modern TV programs like that, at your age! ;-)