July 26, 2007

Triple Zero

The other night I had a conversation with my mate Miss Eudoxia about the circumstances under which a call to 000 is appropriate (we also chatted about boys and had a naked pillow fight in the less serious moments). It turns out that a bin in the middle of the road just requires you to get off your arse and move it. A driver hassling you and driving dangerously is just cause, as is having your husband sectioned ‘cause he’s threatened to kill himself or you.

So having had this conversation I was unpleasantly surprised last night as I left the office I had to make a call to 000.

On the steps outside my office were two guys (Caucasian, wearing beanies and other shabby clothes) holding a lighter under a coke can. As I stepped over them to get home I smelt a smell that was decidedly not natural. The hypodermic needle next to them was also a dead give away. It was only 6.30pm.

I rang Miss Eudoxia after and she confirmed that drug taking did indeed qualify as a 000 call as at least four laws were being broken.


Note: 000 is the Emergancy number in Australia. 999 in the UK. 911 in the USA

No comments: