July 2, 2007

Never Too Far

After a leisurely waking on Saturday morning, and a laid-back packing of an overnight bag I got into a taxi with Hubby and asked to be taken to the airport. We were off to Melbourne for the next 36 hours. Crazy I hear you say! But this was my chance to prove that I really do like the music of an elemental band so much I was willing to travel to them rather than waiting for them to come to me all the time. I had of course proved it a bit by driving to Newcastle last Friday, but to take a flight was the next step.

We arrived at Avalon Airport after what I’m told was a seventy-five minute flight. I slept the entire trip, so I have to believe what I’m told. The drive into the city was uneventful except for the wrong turn which took us about ten kilometres out of the way, but seeing as nothing about the weekend was planned (except the concert at 8pm) we really didn’t mind.

We met a friend of Hubby’s for a drink in the same pub as about a million rugby fans waiting for the Bledislow Cup to begin. She was nice, her hubby was pleasant and their friend was very odd. He thought it would be appropriate to start off by slagging off technology to a group of IT people. Good job I don’t work in IT really.

After the drink and chat we went for dinner. We had planned to go to Tappenyaki, but it was fully booked and we weren’t on the list, so we went to the Bistrot de’Orcy (yes, the sign on the window said Bistrot, not my bad spelling) next door. It was like stepping into a Parisian café with its little burgundy shaded lights, painted ceilings, Moulin Rough posters and smell of great cooking. It was very good. Pork medallion with haricot beans and spinach followed by vanilla crème brulee for me. Gnocchi with beef ragout followed by white chocolate panne cotta for Hubby. I also had a glass, okay, two of a divine Coonawarra Cab Sav.

With tickets for seats A19, A20 and A21 we made our way into the theatre at about twenty to eight. Dave Bramble was playing the grand piano in the foyer and surprisingly everyone was ignoring him. The either A) had no idea who he was B) didn’t want to disturb, or C) all of the above. I on the other hand, knew who he was and knew he wouldn’t mind if I said Hi. As it turns out, he was quite chatty.

The concert started on time and was amazing. Due to the detail I wish to go into there is a whole separate entry about it called The Concert. I will say for now thought that it was (let me just swallow the thesaurus) great, excellent, wonderful, terrific, the best, top value, stand out and momentous.

After a leisurely waking on Sunday morning, breakfast was consumed at the Rydges breakfast bar at 10.30. It was a busy weekend and they failed to live up to the expectations of a five star hotel. I think all the miserable All Blacks fans had eaten all the eggs at the ‘world famous egg bar’.

A walk round the ‘best shopping in Australia’ lead me to believe that maybe it would be better if more of it was open on a Sunday. I did get to go into a Swatch shop and purchase the 2007 Valentine watch so It wasn’t all bad. I had a Trinidad White Hot chocolate in Max Brenner’s and I brought a sexy red scarf. Ohh… and I forgot to mention, yesterday I got the best t-shirt in the world.

We met up with a friend of mine that I haven’t seen for about a year and his new wife. It was short but really lovely and as it turns out they’re coming to Sydney in late July, so maybe we’ll see each other again then.

Hubby and I then collected the car and took a drive down to St Kilda. There was one more groupie activity to be done while down in Melbourne before we could leave. This is where you get to play ‘where’s Jodie’.

A walk along the jetty and breakwater left us reminiscing about the UK and impromptu walks along the beach in the middle of winter. As our ears lost all feeling we talked about my mum suggesting taking the dog for a walk at West Wittering. As the feeling in our toes disappeared we talked about Brighton Pier and how no-one should ever be 50 metres out to sea on a wooden jetty in the freezing cold without a cone of steaming hot chips covered in ketchup. Shortly after we jumped in the car and drove to the airport for our flight back to Sydney.

While in the car we decided that Melbourne is nice to visit, but despite the land be cheap and plentiful, the public transport being fairly efficient and the music being kick arse, we couldn’t live there. Thanks for a great weekend Melbourne!





PS. Incidentally the Wallabies won 20 – 15. Bad luck All Blacks.

No comments: