July 8, 2007

Sailors, Surfing and Driving

I woke up on Saturday morning before nine thirty with that ‘you’re awake and no matter how much you lie here you’ll stay that way’ feeling. Hubby was asleep so I got in the shower, then dressed and went for a walk, all before ten. Maybe it was because I wanted to play with my camera or maybe I was fuelled by the beautiful weather and the prospect of seeing the USS Kitty Hawk in the Harbour. Actually I think it was a bit of both.

- The Archibald Fountain at the North end of Hyde Park

So I walked down my street, across Liverpool Street, slowly through Hyde Park and even slower through Sydney Botanical Gardens, taking pictures all the way (where I took pictures of some of the last flowers of the season and flying foxes). I was very reserved and only took sixty or so. Even when I saw the plethora of people all heading the same direction as me I was undeterred.

- Sleeping Fruit Bats (aka Flying Foxes) in the Botanical Gardens

- Bumble Bee on Daisys

- Flying Fox, ehh flying...

- Just a few of the crowds going to see the USS Kitty Hawk

I took more pictures and even ended up taken some wedding photos for a small group that had no official photograph person. I also got a shot of a gaggle of US sailors showing zero respect for Mrs Macquarie’s sandstone, but having fun. How did I know they were sailors, you ask? Well, they had American accents, they were chewing gum and they seemed to be wearing clothes out of sync with Aussie fashions.

- Hero's from the USS Kitty Hawk

- The USS Kitty Hawk

The ship itself was a little disappointing. It was grey! And OK, it had jet planes and helicopters and tanks and all sorts of other high tech gadgets and bells and whistles but you couldn’t really see any of it and it all looked (I may have said this before) grey.

A walk home with a detour into David Jones and a new shirt or two later, Hubby picked me and we went to Sara and Pete’s place for the viewing of the wedding videos and looking of the wedding pictures. After a few hours of that accompanied by curry and traditional Indian sweets we left and went to the movies.

Fantastic Four – Rise of the Silver Surfer was exactly what I needed. Mindless entertainment with good-looking hero’s and bad guys all dressed in tight fitting costumes and lame dialog. A simple story with plenty of action and nice locations meant that the hundred and twenty odd minutes passed with very few brain waves interfering with the enjoyment. Marvellous!

This morning I had a slightly harder time waking up. Puss had disturbed my sleep a bit and I had ended up sleeping head to toe with Hubby. But Edna was driving me in her new Mazda 3 Neo today and I had to be ready.

We drove out of Sydney over the bridge (first 1) and then out to Hornsby shopping centre (first 2 – car park) then onto the freeway (first 3 – 110kph). A brief stop at the Brooklyn Bridge rest stop for a photo shoot (first 4) then onto Bucketty. On the nice long straight stretch near Peats Ridge, Edna developed lead foot for a brief time (first 5 – over 110kph) before pulling it back for the 60 zone. First 6 was when we drove up my driveway which happens to be a dirt track. The final first was filling him up with fuel. You'll have to go to Edna's blog for pictures!

All in all a good day.

Today wasn't a pretty weather wise, as yesterday, so I thought include this pretty hibiscus flower ;-)

1 comment:

Miss Eudoxia said...

LOVE!!!!!! the flying fox picci. SO many tales to tell you dear, we MUST catch up. I am also blaming you, wholy and squarely, for me watching America's Next Top Model....and I spose I will be wathing it again next week!