April 27, 2006

Telepathic Lift Rider

I work on the 27th floor. The lift travels fast to 15 then stops at all floors. The journey can take anything from less than a minute to five minutes. When travelling down I often play a game with myself ‘How many stops’. I guess how times the lift will stop before we hit the fast zone. I very rarely get it right, but it kills a little time.

First thing in the morning during rush hour (0800 – 0930) the lifts are packed solid with people travelling to all floors. As someone going pretty much all the way to the top of the building I try and get to the back of the lift, but if I find my nose pressed against the doors I get out at each floor to let others alight, but jumping backing just as the doors close.

But, and you knew there was a but coming…I’m amazed at the amount of people who barge and shove their way out without saying ‘excuse me’, it is as if all the passengers just telepathically know which floor each person is getting off at.

I have been told that I am too often amazed at the way people behave. Quite frankly I hope that I never lose that amazement. Because I don’t ever want to be so jaded I just accept this type of behaviour.


(227 words)

2 comments:

Miss Eudoxia said...

Another great game to play in lifts...no matter how many people ina lift (unless sardine can full)people will ALWAYS (unless you have me on board) move so as to have an equidistant space between then. Try moving a little closer to the person next to you and see what happens, on a good day on a long trip you can get people moving around the lift.
Alternatively stand in the middle and fart.

Fran Carleton said...

Ohh... i love doing the one where you invade people personal space and see them move slowly around the lift.

I haven't tried farting ;-)