February 14, 2006

Rudeness in Business

I have alpacas. I’m the editor of a newsletter about alpacas. I am on a regional committee. So not only do I have the pleasure of being an alpaca owner, I have the trouble of dealing with alpaca breeders and newsletter advertisers.

I love being editor of the newsletter, but I don’t like having to gather advertising. I got told to ‘bugger off’ this morning.

I called a countrywide water pump company and asked to speak to the person responsible for the print advertising decisions. The receptionist (I assume) told me that the person was unavailable at the moment. I asked if I was to call back who I should ask for. At that point she said, ‘you may as well bugger off now, she’s busy and won’t speak to you anyway.’ Then she put the phone down on me.

I was shocked, after all my humble publication offers full A4 page black and white for only $80 (Aussie dollars), but I didn’t get to mention that. Chicken feed to a company as big as the one I was calling. So I wonder, how companies manage to get as far as they do with little or no customer service skills. If the receptionist had said, ‘I’m sorry our advertising budget has been allocated this year’ or ‘we only advertise with X and X’ or ‘I’m sorry, we aren’t looking to advertise any more at the moment.’ I would have left them in peace, but, bugger off, that was just RUDE!

When I need to replace the water pumps at the house, I won’t be buying from them.

1 comment:

Miss Eudoxia said...

Hmm wonder who that would be???
It always amazes me that huge companies have someone who can't speak properly, or understand someone speaking clear english, or is incapable of writing down a message, passing on a note or deciding what extension to put you on, as the public voice of their company!