February 8, 2006

The Right Tools

I’ve been slack and not written about this, even though it started two week ago. I currently work for an internationally known credit card company. I can’t say the name of it but I’m sure you would recognise it immediately if I did.

I am currently writing training material for a large project that involves many Powerpoint slides. This makes for large files. Two weeks ago I ceased being able to save any more document on my PC or common drives. I have been saving them to a USB key since.

Then a week ago, the printer broke. I spent over an hour trying to un-jam it yesterday. The man from Canon is coming out tomorrow.

A PC still running Windows 95 and Office 2000 I can’t save anything too, a printer that doesn’t work, a PC that make a squealing sound that only whales should be able to hear and assistant that barely speaks English.

I am now unable to save or print. Not bad for someone on a tight deadline.

So it got me to thinking, what ever happened to the term ‘the right tools for the job?’

No comments: