February 10, 2006

Creature of Habit

I used to bite my nails, but I stopped when I had a boyfriend who had longer nails than me, I was 16 and just coming into my girlieness.
I used to pick my nose, but I stopped when I realised it was Disgusting with a capital D! I was young enough not to worry about it, but old enough to know it was wrong.
Now, I fold sweetie wrappers into knots and leave them wherever I’m sitting (‘cause they are tidy now ;-)
My hubby also tells me I have many more annoying habits that get on his nerves, including leaving the loo seat down.


But just now, in the ladies at work I realised I have one habit that is truly odd. I always go into the same cubicle. As you walk into the room there are five cubicles to the left. I always go into the second one. I just went in and that door was shut and the little red engaged was showing. I paused, not sure what to do, then walked out. A few seconds later I returned having told myself off for being silly and went in the fourth one (which I do when the second is occupied).

Another revelation came to me as I sat. I always sit in the same seat in the little Noodle House I go to for lunch, tucked away in the corner. The same stool at the bench in Sushi Train and even at the Yoshinoya (a natty little Japanese eatery).

What is it with seats? Thinking back I have always done that. Every job I have ever had (and it’s a lot, ‘cause I’m a contractor) I’ve always had a place I ‘sit’.

I must stop! I don't want to be the mad English woman sitting in the same seat and/or scowling at interlopers for beating me too it.

1 comment:

Miss Eudoxia said...

There was a study done on the whoel toilet seat thing. I think the result was that we have some inbuilt thing that a - we deicide that a certain toilet is cleaner, usedless etc. and b - that if it is used 200 times that day and we use it twice then that is 0.5% less germs that we may pick up.
Screwy isn't it?