February 8, 2006

It Rains in Melbourne!

I got the job in Melbourne, which means I have to move away from Sydney. I’m glad I landed the plum job that puts my careening career back on course, but I have to move to bloody Melbourne to do it!

Just as I was making friends and getting a life (I’ve been in Sydney three years), I’m moving to a new town, in a new state.

The New Job - Program or Programme (depending were you come from) Manager at a large Australian bank for its Basel II (compliance) program. Lots of high flying and wheeling and dealing to get things done. It should be hard work, but fun. I’ll be working with a couple of people I have worked with before and many I haven’t. One of the guys I will be working with called me Rachel for a whole week even though I had a name tag on.

The Issue – It’s in Melbourne! I understand that it is the cultural capital of Australia, with its art galleries, kick arse shopping and café life, but it also rains more, it’s cold and windy. I’ll have to invest in a coat as I gave my UK ones to charity. In the seven years I have been in Australia I haven’t worn a coat once. With the wind coming straight off the sea from Antarctica (over a lot of sea) it gets a little chilly at times.

I shall miss my friends. Miss Eudoxia (http://misseudoxia.blogspot.com/) the vet cum firefighter cum new career (can’t say what it is, she hasn’t told her mum yet). She’s mad but she looks after my pussy cats like she loves them even though she allergic. She’s been there for me.
My new friend, Miss Kate, the project manager at my current gig. Totally crazy and just as eager to start a new job as I am.
My hubby of course, who is staying in Sydney for a while to sell our house and close up this end. I’m sure we’ll get together at weekends though.

The Planned Solution – To go out with Todd, my drinking buddy, and warm myself from the insides with plenty of Jack. Ohh…and a new alpaca coat ;-)


Timeline :
19.2.06 Fly to Melbourne and check into hotel for two weeks.
20 – 22.2.06 Flat hunting and Melbourne discovery
23.2.06 My first day at new job
25 – 26.2.06 More flat hunting and Melbourne discovery

27 – onwards Hopefully have found flat by now and moved in. Carry on with job.

No comments: