December 12, 2011

People are strange

The weather is somewhat inclement at the moment for the time of year. This is having a negative effect on the population of Sydney and surrounds. The storm drains are flowing like winterbournes and the temperature gage is barely touching 20 degrees Celsius. With only two weeks to Christmas everyone expects to be sweating in light chiffons, not snuggling into overcoats.

Last night I was woken by heavy rainfall on the roof and three cats and a dog trying to hide under the covers when the thunder rocked the house at 3am. I woke this morning in no mood to play the commuter game. But a meeting in the city at 10am meant I to, and win.

I find myself hyper observant when I'm tired and testy. I notice small thing that wouldn't normally confuse or annoy, today, I'm in uber form. I'd win the gold if observance of human oddity was an Olympic sport.

Why did the woman squeeze herself into the second of two seats when a three seater remained unoccupied?

Why did the three seater remain unoccupied until every other seat in the carriage was taken?

When two people did sit in the unoccupied seats, why did the guy who was clearly not travelling with the girl sit so close to her?

Why did the guy stand next to the spare seat looking at it like it had the lurgy?

This seat was just in front of me. When I had boarded the train the seat I was sat on and lurgy seat had formed a sixer until I flipped the back. There was nothing wrong with the seat, it was clean, there were nothing nasty on the floor and there wasn't even any marker pen graffiti tags on the seat back. It was an inoffensive seat, just waiting to be squished by damp bottoms (from the rain, wow you're disgusting!).

Being of a curious and questioning nature this behaviour led me to hypothesise why people would behave in such a way. I would have liked to have put together a brief survey called 'why are you avoiding that seat', but I don't think it would have been well received. For forty minutes to tossed over various reasons in my head and I finally came up with this theory.

Here's my theory.

People are weird and we'll never be able to guess at what makes them tick because most of the time they don't know why they do things.

End of theory. Damn, another PhD idea blown out the water.


A storm drain in full flood

No comments: