December 7, 2011

Cinderella Story

I realized something the other day when I was talking to a friend in the UK over Skype.

I'm lonely and the black dog is waiting in the back garden, just waiting for his chance to get inside; a crack in the door, an open window.

There has been a sequence of events that have led me to this conclusion.

The first being; the embracement of the animal welfare movement. While I've always been pro-animal rights, I've not felt strongly enough about anything to get involved, to march or protest. Once I'd got involved I met some lovely people with a healthy need to help our four legged friends, others with a not so healthy need to help bordering on obsessive. This led my Facebook wall being inundated with invitations, calls to foster, videos that made me ball my eyes out and mild abuse for sharing and consequently, not sharing. I culled my friends list.

Not before the Millie incident though.

I came to the conclusion from that, that one small dog with very few needs (except snuggles) is all I need and can handle on the canine front. Going out to work five day a week leaves little room for a dog with separation anxiety issues.

Knowing this, I found I could help dogs find homes by taking pictures for the rescue groups, but this meant going to the pound. And they don't just have dogs at the pound.

I find myself poopy scooping for five cats at the moment. I fostered four, adopted one. because I went to the pound. Don't get me wrong I'm glad to do my bit to help these creatures find worthy homes but I now know, I acknowledge, I did it because I'm lonely and I was looking to fill that void in my heart.

I’m lacking the companionship that comes with being in a relationship. While a little nookie would be nice, it’s the other more mundane activities that it would nice to share. Digging the garden, having someone hold the ladder while i change the light bulbs, going to the movies, wandering around, going for a drive or sharing a meal. The simple everyday things.

Most of my friends are loved up, in relationships with kids. The one person I’d dearly love to spend that quality everyday time with lives on a different continent and shows no signs of moving back to Australia anytime soon. I’ve been hanging out for that to happen for a couple of years now, unable to move on due the feelings I have. Deep feelings that go to the very core of me. The other day I felt those feelings lessen. I’m not sure what was said, what’s been done or not done that has caused this, but the heart strings are being tugged just a little less.

I’ve tried to date over that time in an attempt not to wait, but I always find myself looking across the table, looking at my date and thinking, ‘but you’re not Mr. Right’. I had thought I’d found Mr Right, but maybe I was wrong. I find dating hard as most of my friends are attached and rarely go out, internet dating has proved to be a bust (do I smell, even online) and I find as soon as Aussie men find out I’m well educated and reasonably successful in my chosen field they run as far as their tatty trainers will carry them.

Maybe I have found Mr. Right, but the human desire for companionship is getting the better of me. Driving me forward after not seeing him for nearly a year. Driving me into the arms of another (when I find another). But would it be unfair to the other? I’ve never found anyone that fills the shoes of Mr. Right in quite the same way. They just don’t fit.

This is my dilemma. I’m lonely beyond belief but I find myself snuggling at home amongst the furkids hoping that one day, my prince will turn up and slip his foot into a perfect fitting shoe.

8 comments:

Cinderella party supplies said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
michelle said...

This is such a sad blog... it's awful to be feeling so lonely but I can relate in a slightly different way... whilst I have a hubby to talk to and share things with, I have been feeling homesick for my "home" town for the past few months, which is being exacerbated by the fact that I am most likely not going to make it home for Christmas, due to work commitments. I am missing my Mum, Dad, Aunt and Uncle desperately and with my menagerie, it is not easy to pack up and visit, even for a couple of days. So I can relate to the feeling of loneliness you are experiencing, even if in a different way :) To the extent that week before last I visited my usual pet shop to buy some straw and litter for the bunnies and ended up coming home with two hermit crabs and a critter carrier for them, after being assured they were easy to look after. I just wanted a couple more things to love and look after :) Once I had got home and set them up I googled them and discovered they take a bit more looking after than food and water, eg, need to be kept at right temperature and humidity level etc etc... Back to a different pet shop I went and purchased a small aquarium to house them in, plus hygrometer and thermometer. Well that night was a particularly humid one and I could not get the humidity level down at all, back into the critter carrier they went and by end of night I was a mess, I could not handle it at all :( Next morning back to the pet shop I went to take them back, I was a blubbering mess and had to use sign language to indicate what I was doing. I'm sure they now think I am a fruitcake. Unfortunately it is the only pet store close by that sells the particular litter I use for the bunnies, so sooner than later I will have to go back :( I know people would say, for God's sake, they are hermit crabs, get a life, but I felt I had abandoned them! So in a roundabout way I can relate to how you are feeling :) xxx

Anonymous said...

A sequence of events HAS - it's singular! :)
Hope you're feeling better.

Anonymous said...

I think Mr Right has affected you and I this year and I am on the same continent as he......

Fran Carleton said...

Anonymous: If you are going to correct my context in one comment, please ensure the next comment is comprehensible. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

It is quite possible there is more than one Anonymous! You can distinguish us by our style of writing.

Anonymous said...

I am surprised you don't know who I am! Given the all the websites we frequent together.
Mr Right has been playing me along this year too.....
So my New Years Resolution is not to suffer fools gladly! Which means most of the male population :(

Fran Carleton said...

You may well be more than one person, but as you (or your namesake) have given me nothing to go on as your identity, and frequenting website really isn't a clue, I 'frequent' many sites.

Maybe using a username, your initials or your first name may assist me identifying who's wasting their time reading my blog when clearly they:
a) don't get it
b) don't understand me
c) don't understand the point of a blog

I shall enter into no more pointless banter with you Anon, until you choose to identify yourself, you're wasting my time.