December 15, 2011

Not-so-much-help desk

IT guys are generally considered to be smart.  They will often have the words, geek, nerd, or egg head banded about next to their names.  So you can imagine my surprise when I met one who was clearly smart, but acted in a dumb way.

Yesterday my laptop screen went wibbley.  In that it pixalited and the overriding colour changed to pink.  I’m not a big fan of pink, but it was the fuzziness that was caused the problem.  It made it difficult to read anything on the screen.  So I called the ‘Service Desk’ after performing a couple of standard first line support tests.  I rebooted it twice and tried resetting the display.

The local Onsite guy came to see me.  Apart from being kinda hot, he was useful. He accepted that I had done the first line stuff and went straight to having a look at the guts.  Turns out the cable between the guts and screen was damaged, so I had to take it away and see the ‘Acer’ guy, but in the meantime I needed to be given a monitor so I could do some work.

Today I’m working out of a different office.  When I got in this morning I had to call James (name changed to protect the idiot) to get a workstation on my desk.  I rag him, gave him directions to my desk, twice, and waited.  At 10.30 he turned up with a monitor.  He plugged it all in and when I suggested that it may be hard to see the screen if I needed to have the laptop in front of me.

‘So you need a keyboard?’  He asked.

‘Yes, please. That and a mouse would be most helpful.’

Half an hour later he turned up with a keyboard.  I’m still waiting for the mouse and it’s gone 1pm.

I’m having to use the track-pad.  I’ve got back ache now.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think this is very rude.
Why didnt you get up and go collect what you needed from IT? It's not nice to be condescending and call people names - after all this person was helping you out.

Anonymous said...

or maybe he didnt want to get contaminated with...RINGWORM!!! :)