November 9, 2007

It’s Basically Madness

I had a bit of a The Basics frenzy last week.

On the Friday 26th October I saw them at The Spectrum on Oxford Street. They were supported by Jordie Lane and Crossed Eyed Mary. It was a packed house with many die-hard fans to encourage them to perform one of the best sets I’ve seen them do, ever. As usual the lighting was crappy so I got hardly any photos, but I have it all in my mind, indelibly marked from my front row centre vantage point. They rocked the joint!

Less than a week later on Thursday 1st November, I loaded the car up with Edna, June and myself and drove down to Wollongong to the Oxford Tavern. We walked in and it looked like a school canteen crossed with a bingo hall. The lights were on bright and the stage was tucked away on the far corner. We brought ourself drinks before planted our arses at the table near the front. The Saturns came on and warmed up the crowd of locals and the many groupies who had followed the lads form Sydney. One guy, clearly hammered asked where they were from, twice! They did a really good job and once again I was impressed with there set (I saw them at the Hopetoun, months ago). After a short break the The Basics took to the stage. Poor Wally looked knackered. His week had been hectic since his big award and his voice was suffering a little. But being the consummate professional this only affected the crowd by the absence of ‘Rattle My Chain’ and a slight change in pitch on one of the choruses. The local crowd took over the ‘mosh pit’ about five or six songs into the set and proceeded to behave like the cast of the Dawn of the Dead who’d run out of food.

Fast Forward twenty-four hours and the 2nd November saw Edna and I at Sounds in the Grounds. Sydney Uni had turned the Manning Centre into a mini festival venue for the night with eight bands playing on two floors. The Basics opened the downstairs set and managed to perform their short set very well despite sound issues and a fog machine that all but obliterated them from view. Also, I was confused and mildly disturbed by Kris’ bitching. It seemed to have stepped up a notch, but that may have been due to starting over an hour late, the overwhelming humidity or simply that his was pissed at something we weren’t party to. Regardless, the set was good. Meanwhile, The Tongue and bLuejuice played the top stage. bLuejuice rocked. A couple of hours, a few beers and much secondary reefer smoking later, Goyte (aka Wally, the drummer from The Basics) came onto the downstairs stage looking a little refreshed. He had with him his mini orchestra. I think everyone in the Manning had crowded into the area in front of the stage, the gallery that looked down from the canteen and every other vantage point. From my dodgy spot looking down onto the top of his head I enjoyed as he opened with my personal favourites ‘The Only Way’ and ‘Out Here in the Cold’ (or was it ‘What do you want?’). I felt my heart swell as everyone joined in with the chorus of ‘Hearts a Mess’ and realized I was standing amongst students, all at least twelve years younger than me and more than familiar with him music. Although I noticed they didn’t know the words to songs off ‘Boardface’ as well.

Anyway, all in all I saw The Basics three times in a week. It was an awesome treat that I’m sure will not be repeated for a while.

9 comments:

Syms Covington said...

They are playing at The Basics double shot - twice in one night in Melb. I'll be down then anyway so going along.

Fran Carleton said...

When's that happening then?

Anonymous said...

"Bitching?"

Hmm... interesting.

I can honestly say I was in pretty good spirits during the Manning Bar show.

But it's not unusual for people to take me the wrong way (or is it me giving out the wrong message?), I've learned that much.

Maybe if I was famous then people would think I'm just eccentric rather than rude/arrogant/inconsiderate/whinging/all of the above...

Fran Carleton said...

Actually looking back...I think this had a lot to do with my frame of mind that night. Maybe I'll explain one day if you're interested.

I don't think you're arrogant, if I did I would put myself through the drive to Wollongong ;-)

Anonymous said...

Yes, more than happy to hear your thoughts and why I was the brunt of them!

It seems to happen alot with me for some reason - it's like another friend telling me today that some people don't like her cos she's "too happy" and it annoys them.

Not that I'm too happy...

Fran Carleton said...

Kris … Sweetie you weren’t the brunt of anything. The Manning gig was good; I say that because I mean it. I also say the humidity was unbearable and the due to technical issues the gig started late. Those things alone would be enough to piss me off…the fog blocking my fans (not that I have any) view of the stage would have pushed me over the edge.

If someone had said ‘I love you’ that night, I would have asked what they meant by that ;-)

You always seem pretty happy whenever I see you and I don't hate you for it.

Anonymous said...

Well that's better! :))

I didn't think you disliked me!
:))

Edna Wilt said...

Hmm, perhaps bitching is not a nice way of putting it, but there were snide remarks! Both in the school canteen in Wollongong and at the university canteen in Sydney!
But it's alright, I put that down to sheer eccentricity....

Anonymous said...

I think canteens bring out my evil side hehe