July 4, 2006

Hooligans

In the midst of the last weeks drama, I have failed to tell you about a couple of things.

The first being ANTM. It finished last week with Jade, Danielle and Joanie in the top three. Jade got kicked out (much to my relief) leaving D and J to duke it out for the title. In the end, Danielle’s stoic nature (breaking her toe in platforms and walking away, posing on a elephant just after collapsing from exhaustion) saw her become America’s Next Top Model. Woo Hoo!


The second thing, I was accused of being a traitor on Friday night/Saturday morning by a complete stranger whilst watching yet another Germany (v Argentina) football match. It happened during extra time, after the bar had closed and Edna was in the loo.

So picture this, me having had a few drinks, in pain from perching all night, alone and being abused by a bunch of largered up lads. I wasn’t really as polite as I could have been. I pointed out that it was silly that they seemed to be supporting Argentina, just because it wasn’t Germany. They then said the ‘krauts’ were a war making nation. I then felt the need to tell them they were talking out of their backsides and had they forgotten about the whole Falkland Islands debacle, plus it’s only a game for Christ’s sake. Get a life! Once Edna got back, it settled a bit, but not a lot and it all resulted in us leaving with 10 minutes and the penalties to go. I have off course cleaned up the language used somewhat ;-) (In case you're wondering the match ended in a draw, but Germany won 4 - 2 on penalties).

I still find it amazing that people get so worked up about a game of football. After all the idea of the World Cup is to bring nations together and play a game or two of football. But the world over fans divide and abuse each other. Really, and I may have mentioned this before, but I just don’t get it!

(347 words)

No comments: