March 30, 2012

Notoriety

In 1968 Andy Warhol said, ‘In the future, everyone will be world-famous for 15 minutes.’ This saying has now become legend and part of everybody’s dream as they grow up.

A famous doctor, movie star, chef, dog whisper, artist or writer. It may be a competition win, treatment of a special case, being so good at what you do you just happen to get your own show or, as in my case, you answer an advert because you think you might be able to do something.

A few weeks ago I responded to an advert by a Talent Agency that was looking for ‘new faces’. Why not, I thought, what have I got to lose?

Two weeks after registering I got a call, ‘Would you like to play QC in the new big law production by the RST?’

‘Yeah, why not, I can do those dates’.

Thursday was Day One. I had to take three suits and low-key jewelry and be there at 0745.

There was a bit of waiting around, then I was called into the courtroom with 20 other extras. I was front row, centre General Public. For three hours I watched a guy ‘Matt’, push his way to his seat next to ‘Bernie’, over and over again then listen to a ‘barrister’ grill the ‘bad guy’. I must have seen it 20 times, seen cameras move position, make-up refreshed, lights moved and blooper reel classics. Not once did I get bored.

Lunch was provided and it was amazing. The catering guys were culinary genius!

In the afternoon I got pulled out of General Public and put in a seat next to the ‘Barrister’ to be ‘Solicitor that leans in’

Yes…’Solicitor that leans in’!

I shall henceforth be known as iLean.

I spent the afternoon sitting in an extremely uncomfortable chair that was too tall for my short legs next to ‘Tanya’, pretending to scribe the entire scene while leaning the prop folder and notepad on my knees.

In total about eight minutes of the programme was film in over ten hours of filming. It's hard work, and people who partake of this form of employment full time make it look easy and deserve the compensations they receive.

It’s entirely possible I’ll end up on the cutting room floor. But I may, just may, get my first few minutes of fame.

No comments: