March 1, 2012

A Memory

Despite the band splitting up before I was born, I grew up listening to The Monkees. Muv was just a teenager when they were at the height of their fame and she continued to pass her love for them on in the years that followed.

One of the few programs I remember from childhood is the Monkees.

In 1988, when I was 15, The Monkees came to the UK for a short concert tour. Micky, Peter (the one with the hat) and Davey where there. Michael was absent after a falling out with the band some years earlier.

Despite living in Chichester we drove to Bournemouth to see then. I was very excited, it was only the second concert I’d been to, Howard Jones was the first. The trip between Chichester and Bournemouth is 48 miles (or 77km). We hit the back of traffic queue about 15 miles outside Chichester.

‘Do you think the queue is for the concert.’

I was young and innocent.

Muv laughed about it for years.

I still listen to The Monkees, usually when I’m cleaning or gardening. Their upbeat sound has always been a energiser for me. I know they haven’t produced any new music for a while, but Davy Jones made his mark on the music industry.

A boy from Manchester who made another musical David Jones change his name to David Bowie.

He gave us the outstanding ‘Daydream Believer’ and ‘A little bit me, A little bit you’ and ‘Randy Scouse Git’

You knew you were short, we all knew you were short, but that didn’t stop us from loving you.

May you Rest in Peace Mr. Davy Jones
1945 - 2012

1 comment:

michelle said...

Am not ashamed to say I have shed a tear for Davy Jones tonight... I too grew up listening to their songs and watching them on TV, absolutely loved and still do their song "Daydream Believer" and of course as a then "tween" I thought Davy was a spunk! Yes, R.I.P Davy