March 26, 2012

Happy Birthday

Yesterday would have been Muv’s 59th birthday. We would have likely gone for a Doris in the afternoon, seeing as it was Sunday, had afternoon tea at her favourite garden centre before taking the dog for a walk.

I had afternoon tea in my garden and I did some gardening. I didn’t take my dog for a walk, she was too busy eating a chicken bit she’d dug up from the freshly turned veggie patch. Muv would have approved.

I think about Muv a lot on her birthday. It’s only natural I guess. It was the one day of the year that she truly loved and looked forward to. She didn’t like the rapidly approaching six ohh number, but she was realistic about it, and being the vibrant person she was, she laughed it off. Often I’d just tell her how old I would be next birthday, she’d roll her eyes and say, ‘stop it’. Sometimes she'd share how she felt turning that age. I remember when she turned 40.

For the last few years, since her death I have purchased sunflowers on her birthday and, using her urn as a vase, remembered her and celebrated her life with the flowers she held so dear. This year due to job and financial status, the flowers will have to wait, hopefully just a couple of weeks, but she’ll get her sunflowers. Their smiling faces looking out at me as I work and potter in the kitchen. I think I’ll plant some in the garden next spring.

What would she have though about being 59? She’d have hated it, but she’d have embraced it. Had fun with it and maybe had an extra G’n’T, becasue it was her birthday :-)

Happy Birthday Muv.

In Goolwa SA - August 2002

No comments: