January 29, 2007

iPod Mayhem

A combination of poor planning and forgetfulness meant that all my newly ironed work clothes got left in the bush last night when we drove back to the city. This meant, I had to beat the traffic (left office at four) out of the city so I didn’t spend my entire evening in the car.

I was given a gadget for Christmas that let me plug my iPod into the lighter thingy and play it through the car speakers. I know these things have been around a while, but I’m still impressed. I get to listen to the music I chose instead of rambling DJ’s who love their own voices, but have nothing to say (pot, kettle;-). I have chosen before to listen to Robbie all the way, ‘cause I Heart Robbie, of Madonna and sometime one of my playlist, such as Driving Songs (Hmmm…I wonder that could be?) or my romantic mix of songs that move me (include Cyndi Lauper’s Time After Time).

Anyway, today I though I would try shuffle.

Between us, my hubby and I have been collecting CD’s since the LP and tape died. We have very different taste and the only CD that we have two copies of is Jeff Wayne’s War of the Worlds (I don’t count Kylie’s Fever ‘cause I brought the second copy in a bargain bin for ten bucks by mistake), his hobby for nearly two tears was backing all the CD’s up onto the computer, so give or take a few I have 8565 songs on my iPod. I think it works out at over a months continuous playing with no repeats (at an average 3.5 minutes per song, please feel free to correct me if my math is wrong).

I have leant today in my three hours in the car (apart from the fact I have a music collection a stereo type gay man would be proud of) that there are some shuffle follow on that are down right hilarious or perfect, some a bit odd and some, just wrong on so many levels it doesn’t bear thinking about.

Please look at the following and rate on a scale of 1-5 (with 1 being hilarious/great)

1. Monty Python, the Cheese Sketch – John Lennon, Give Peace a Chance

2. Bette Midler, When a Man loves a Woman – Fatbot Slim, Praise you – Right Said Fred, I’m to Sexy

3. Judy Garland, Somewhere over the Rainbow - Meatloaf, Bat Out of Hell – Enya, Anywhere Is

4. David Bowie, Changes – The Doors, Break on Through – Elvis Presley, Suspicious Minds

5. ABBA, I have a Dream – Benjamin Britten, Young Persons Guide to the Orchestra from Peter and the Wolf - ZZ Top, La Grange

(461 words)

(In case you’re wondering 1, 5, 5, 2, 4)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Speaking Of Judy Garland, there is an amazingly popular new group on Yahoo called THE JUDY GARLAND EXPERIENCE. They ultra rare audio files, photo's lively discussions, and an incredible group of people that includes Judy's family members, authors of several Garland biographies, people who knew Judy, and an eclectic bunch of fans of all age ranges (including many that were able to see Judy perform in person. Come check the group out, its great!
http://movies.groups.yahoo.com/group/thejudygarlandexperience/