November 29, 2006

Iceberg Ahead!

Yesterday, after I’d had my hair cut and whilst I was having all offending hair wax from my body I received a phone call for Hubby. He had been offered two free tickets to see Titanic – A New Musical at the Theatre Royal, did I want to go?

Being a big fan of musicals in general, the answer was a big YES!

Also, I was curious. How can you make a musical about such a tragic event? This is after all the story of the world’s largest moving object (at the time, 1912) that sank on her maiden voyage after hitting an iceberg.

Make it a comedy, probably best not too. Make it dead serious, not a big draw card. They went for something in between, mostly serious, but a few pieces of comic moments. This is not a remake of the movie on the stage. The title song, is very powerful and tugs the heartstrings at just the right moments. The staging even manages to sink the ship without even a single drop of water.

I did of course cry, as I always do whenever I think of this story. Perhaps it’s because my mum is from Southampton and I grew up on tales of the ‘unsinkable ship’ from my grandad, perhaps it’s because her great uncle was a pastry chef on board and was one of the survivors, I’m not sure, whatever the reason I’m glad I saw it.

If you get a chance, go see it.

Ohh… yeah, and the costumes are fabulous!

(256 words)

No comments: