November 23, 2006

Duel

After my soul had been returned to me when I left the office today (my current job is very boring and each morning I surrender my soul at the door, only to have it returned as I leave) I went to a seminar at Uni about food writing. Or should I say Writing about food. It was a lecture given by a food critic/author/food lover about what not to do if you plan on a career as a person who writes about food. I’m not explaining this well! ;-) But I think you get the jist.

After, I had a meal of raw salmon wrapped in rice grains and seaweed, deep fried Tofu with teriyaki sauce washed down with nice, cold, not so fresh apple and blackcurrant juice. The company was fine, in the form of Edna and Hubby. The ambience of the Sushi Bus engendered lively conversation and much hilarity. Service as always was par excellent, even when the train derailed and spilt plates of food onto the counter in front of us. Plates are just $3 and $7 each, so none of that trying to figure out if the plate is pink, grey or bronze.

Anyway, I think you get the ideaJ

I drove Edna home, then drove to Bucketty. The traffic was a pain, despite being after 11 at night. I had to stop on the F3 so some loose rocks could be knocked off the rock walls just south of Berowra, then again, for tree trimming just north, added 20 minutes to the trip. After I got off the freeway (motorway to the POMS out there), I picked up a follower. Very odd really, I slowed, he didn’t overtake, but when I sped up he kept pace. I couldn’t shake him. All i could see was two bright white, glowing headlights. On the plus side, when I turned onto our dirt track, I lost him. No driving over cliffs to shake him required. Very Steven Spielberg!

(317 words)

No comments: