September 10, 2006

Wet Feet

Hubby and I helped out on an Alpaca Information stand today. It was the last day of four very wet days. One retailer had to leave on the first day ‘cause the tent that was sheltering them from rain, got blown away by the wind that soon followed.

Last year the same show had four days of glorious sunshine and twenty six degree days. This year rain, wind and grey skies accompanied with fifteen degrees days. We were lucky today because it got up to eighteen, but it rained all. Not just showers and the odd bit of spitting wispy rain, but serious down pours that caused rivers to run in gutters and puddles to turn to ponds.
In the time I spent ‘helping out’ I think I spoke to a grand total of ten people all day. My feet sank deeper and deeper into the mud as the water rose and I even needed to put my gloves on as my finger tips started to chill. I did do a mad dash around the show at the end of the day and picked up a few bargains, as well as some stuff that I got, partially because I felt sorry for the poor sod who had been coping with the rain for four solid days, in marquees lined with straw but still squelching water up your trouser legs.
After packing up and escaping the mud, driving down the freeway I was amazed to see a beat-up station wagon hogging the middle lane, well, that bit didn’t really amaze me but the fact he was drinking a bottle of Tooheys as he drove, did!

(276 words)

No comments: