January 31, 2012

How funny!?

I’ve been told I’m funny.  Maybe it’s because I can’t contain all that I am in a tiny body I have had to over compensate my whole life but making people laugh.
 
‘She’s got a great personality’.
 
I sure this has been used to describe me when friends have told potential suitors about my pear shape.  In the words of the great Ricky Gervais, ‘I consume more calories than I burn off’, but not massively so, I like to say I’m buxom or cuddly.   This had lead me though, to be reliant on my bubbly self to get ahead in life when it comes to friendships and love.
 
A few years ago, I was working in North Sydney and on a whim, I decided to do a short course under the disguise of ‘continuing professional development’.  Stand-up Comedy.
 
For two Saturdays, I went along and I learnt to write material, then I performed seven minutes of stand-up.  I think it well.  But I didn’t do it again.
 
A couple of years passed.  A friend that had attended my first and only performance, was still so fired up about it that she went off to do a course in Melbourne.  She spent a whole week in Melbourne.  I say she deserve kudos, just for that.  Anyway, she came back and started signing up for open mics and badgering me to start again. 
 
‘Be my comedy buddy!’
 
I caved.  My first (or second if you count the one in 2009) open-mic is on 29th February.  A day that happens only once in every four years.  Unfortunately for you lot, my comedy isn’t something that is a rare occurrence.
 

No comments: