October 25, 2011

A Black Dog

For a while now I have been involved with animal rescue. I have a small four legged family, but I have been resisting adding anything larger than a fat cat to the crew until last Monday.

Pound Rounds on Facebook is a group made up of ladies that go to local pounds in Sydney and take pictures of animals for when they reach the PTS list. They do a great job and are sometimes let down by people not going through with offers of fosters. PTS = Put To Sleep. Most dogs will only have a maximum of 20 days before then are euthanized. Millie Dogdog was due for PTS the day after i picked her up.

I drove out to Hawkesbury Council Pound to have a look at PCC805. A black Great Dane X with something of a mystery. Maybe a mastiff, maybe a Staffordshire Terrier, maybe a Pit Bull, maybe a bit of all three. She was listed as be 3-4 years old, but I now know is closer to a year, give or take a couple of months. She’s covered in scars.

I wanted to foster her until the right home came up, but due to many fosters falling through, the only option was adoption. I still want to foster.

The first day home she was very docile. Doopy almost. Slept indoors, pooed in a couple of places.
The second day I took her to vet because she had diraeorra overnight and a cough. She was well behaved once in, but didn’t like the idea of going into the vet. Slept outside.
The third day a little bit bouncy, howled when I left for work. Attempted to sleep outside but she howled and whinged until I let her in. Slept by the bed.
The fourth day. I had to turn around and go home as soon as I got there. She broken into the house through the side window, broken glass everywhere. Wouldn’t sleep outside and tried to get on the bed several times in the night. Started to eat Cara’s toys.

Fifth day. Broke into the house through the kitchen window, luckily it was already open. I took her out for her first walk. She tried to sleep on the bed five times in the night. Swotted Cara, chased a cat. Continued to eat Cara’s toys
Day six, Saturday. She woke me for the fourth time in the night at 0645. I decided to just take her out for a walk. Mental bouncy. The worms quiet clearly gone, and the cough is nearly cleared up. Walks OK on the lead, doesn’t come when called, does not get down when told.
On the seventh day the sun was out to the tune of 35 degrees. She panted the day away but kept wanting cuddles. She would not leave me alone. Covered the lounge floor with stuffing beans for Skunk.
On the eighth day, I only had have a day at the office. I got home to find shoes destroyed. Tried to work from home, managed a couple of hours because she would not leave me alone. She moves around all the time, doesn’t settle. I took her for a mega walk, she could barely stand by the end. 30 minutes later she’d recovered. Bounce was back.

Today, the ninth day. Only jumped on the bed once in the night, but thought she was going to have Cara for breakfast. Both paws swotted her, and she had Cara in her mouth. Had to take little one to work. I wonder what she’s eaten by the time I get home. Knickers, shoes, bra or maybe a cushion or three. Turned out it was three pairs of shoes and the back of one of my steal toe caps

I have to be gentle in tone with her, she has clearly been beaten in the past. She cowered when I grabbed her collar after she ran away in the park a couple of days ago.
She wants to play, Cara isn’t big enough. Neither are the cats or chooks (yes, she’s had a mouth full of feathers).
She needs attention. Lots of it
She steals everyone’s food and toys

I haven’t seen Puss for two days
I haven’t seen Oren for since day three

I’m at a loss. I don’t know what to do. I can’t lock her out, she breaks in. I can’t lock her in, she chews stuff – in and out with door open, she chews stuff, but doesn’t drive the neighbours to drink.
I’m taking her out for walks every night, but the only way I can exhaust her for half an hour is to run her, that means letting her of the lead, she runs away and doesn’t always come back.

The thing is, I can tell she has a lovely giving nature and will be amazingly loyal to the right person, but I don’t think I’m the right person for her. She really need someone at home during the day, I don’t even come close to that...

I’m worried about her wellbeing and my sanity.

No comments: