June 22, 2008

Sleep and Drugs

My mum didn't wake up until about 2pm today. She sugested that the new drugs were making her sleepy. The Doc informed me that she was on exactly the same dose as before, just in a different form. Then he told me what was making her sleepy.

When you breath out you produce Carbon Dioxide, I'm sure you know this, he says.

When you breath as shallowly as your Mum is breathing you keep some, too much, of that carbon dioxide in and it makes you drowsy. He waits for me to respond. I nod and making a hmmming sound.

Eventually her breathing will be so shallow that more carbon dioxide will stay in than comes out and she will slip into a coma. Again I nod and hmmm

If she continues as she is today, it's my belief that she may not be here when you get back from America.

No comments: