February 9, 2007

Some Groupie Action - Take One

I met my cousin R for drinks tonight. We met in the same pub we met in last year. Our parents give us grief ‘cause we’re not hanging out together on a weekly basis, just because we happen to live in the same city.

He brought along his girl, C too. They have just got engaged, and it’s his birthday soon, so we had to meet up, exchange family histories and the benefits of the English drinking copious amounts of tea.

However, the band I thought I might try and become a groupie for was also playing tonight. They are called Don’t Eat My Lettuce and were chosen by the extremely scientific manner of - they have a daft name.

So after a couple of drinks, and a explanation of my New Years resolution, the three of us walked across town to the Mandarin Club, a delightfully grotty place that does karaoke in the basement, pokies on the ground floor and rather splendid food on the first. As the bands had a while before starting we decided to have a bite to eat. We got to eating and chatting and R and me proved ourselves to be our mothers children by talking so much we completely missed the bands! The only thing lacking (from it being a conversation between our parents) where the fags and tea.

I did put my foot it in at one point when we started on religion, stem cell research and hypocrisy (our families are NOT religious) when I said it was weird and I didn’t get it, only to discover he’d got religion about three years ago and attends church regularly. On the plus side he does think Catholics are tad extreme.

Take One at become a groupie failed.

(283 words)

No comments: