June 27, 2006

Ohh Ohh!

I just got the call that tells me another newsletter has been printed and is ready to be posted. I get so excited every time this happens. I can’t really explain the feeling, but I’ll try.

All my hard work over the last few months is finally finished. The compiling of news stories from around the world, the convincing of people to write articles, the convincing businesses to part with hard earned cash to advertise. Then comes the waiting…waiting for all this stuff to land on my desk, normally it requires chasing up, but sometimes I get lucky and it just arrives. The layouts come next, paper strewn across the floor for what seems like days on end, the cat help sort of course! I mull thing over, move things about, lose sleep, move things about a bit more.

After it is all said and done, it gets printed. 225 copies get stuffed into envelopes with letters and whiz their way across NSW and indeed the world (we have subscribers in Europe and an American contributor). Still, after this effort I still have people who complain that ‘this is needed’ and ‘that was a waste of space’ etc. The saying you can never please everyone and it’s very true. But really what makes all my volunteer effort worth it is when just one person takes the time to say ‘I really enjoy the newsletter and wait for it to arrive’.

(240 words)

No comments: