July 11, 2012

Wasted

Will I look back on my life when on my deathbed and think, ‘Did I waste my life?’

I know it seems like a grim thing to think about, but seeing as we are here for such a short time I believe it something we should all reflect on, regularly.

I’ve been thinking about it a lot over the last few days while I’ve been sick. I can’t pin my feelings of lethargy, upset tummy, sniffy nose and vertigo on any one thing, but I honestly think I’m sick of doing something that leaves me unfulfilled.

Yes I know I do lots of things outside work hours that should keep me entertained and my mind off the hours of boredom and thumb twiddling, but I can’t help but shake the feeling those long, eight hours are the ones taking a toll on my body that cannot be reversed with a few short hours crochet, speech writing, recorder playing and stand up comedy.

Is it unreasonable to expect a level of enjoyment and satisfaction from your job? I don’t think so. Surely a happy employee is a constructive employee.

How do I correct this imbalance in my life without sending myself broke?

I have no idea, given my current plans/dreams are likely to end in disappointment.

At the moment I’m hoping that the publisher that requested to see my partially written manuscript wants the rest and pays me a small advance to finish it and then it goes on to be an international success. Because I know it’s written better that Fifty Shades of Grey, after all, it as nothing to do with Twilight, so it must be. Right?

Or I’ll suddenly become an in demand Civil Celebrant. I know that isn’t going to happen. Either people aren’t dying or getting married or they have no idea I exist (despite advertisments) or don’t care.

What if I were to win the lottery; would we still be friends?

Maybe, my stand-up will become popular and I’ll soon be making pod-casts and making appearances on TV panel and radio shows with my quick wit and amusing insights into popular culture.

I’m a realist; I know there is no overnight solution. But I fear my current health levels require something fairly rapid.

At this stage I’m left looking for a job in my current line of employment that may satisfy my need to be productive. I just want to be busy. I need to be occupied. It keeps my mind and body focused and gives it a reason to want to get out of bed in the morning, because currently, if asked the opening question, my answer would assuredly be, 'Yes'.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

JS,

I have just lost my best mate - I had to make the horrible decision to put him down nearly a week ago. I am wracked with guilt - did I do the right thing for him, did I in some way cause his illness that he was dying from? I don't know when I will feel happiness again. My house feels so empty & quiet without my little old man & I can't stop crying.

Have you thought about being a Celebrant for people with pets that have died? While this is not for me, my neighbour told me she got her friend who is a Celebrant to do what ever you guys do for her pet & it helped her a great deal.

Just a thought - the way that I feel at the moment about my beautiful boy would be repeated all over the pet loving world. Any easing of the grief would surely be welcome for those who are of the Celebrant type service for their pets ...

I wish that I could ease my grief, but the only thing that would ease it at this time is not possible ;((

Fran Carleton said...

Hi Anon.

I am always happy to help with memorials for lost pets. After all to many, you included, pets are family members that are mourned just as any other family member.

If you change your mind about doing something, I'd be happy to help you put something for your beautiful boy. Sometime a few words while supported by those that understand can have amazing healing powers.

If you have Facebook, you can find me at Frances Carleton Civil Celebrant.

I hope you don't remain anonymous for too long :)