April 19, 2012

Helpdesk

I've been contracting for most of my career. I've had many contracts lasting a varied amount of time in a variety of industries, towns and countries.

I've worked for and with some amazing people that I admire and have made lasting friendships. As well as power hungry men and women who'd sacrifice their first born for a promotion.

I've gone from being a novice computer user using a VAX machine to PCs and Microsoft Word 3. I built my MS Word knowledge up to become an expert user and fell back to being a beginner when they brought in Ribbon menus.

I've had desks with a view overlooking Sydney Harbour and desks facing a corner giving me that 'I've been naughty' feeling. Hotdesks make me feel temporary and make me feel uneasy. Chairs have varied too...arms and no arms, straight back to a permanent falling off the back sensation.

I've worked with small teams and large teams. Small companies run by Ma and Pa to large multi-nationals in high rises.

I've travelled states, countries and the world for work, by trains, planes and automobiles, the latter being my favourite mode of transport.

I've met many people along the way in my career and worked with many technologies. Every single contract has been different in so many ways. These opportunities have given me so much to take away and learn from.

That said they all have one thing in common. Helpdesk has been the first additional folder in every single email program I've had, be it Outlook or Lotus Notes or that archaic green screen thing I had in VAX. The first email I've every had to keep has been a IT Helpdesk request number.

Technology. Fantastic, when it works.

No comments: