March 6, 2009

Not Romance

For a while now I have had a Not-Boyfriend. A mate I go to the movies with and occasionally eat out and he keeps me company when I’m doing stoopid things, like moving the alpacas. We do not have a boyfriend/girlfriend relationship with all the perks that come with it. I’m not in a position to get into that and neither, he claims, is he.

He does do things sometime, that really make me think his actions speak louder than words, such as last night at the movies.

I have been waiting for Watchman to come out, for months. Finally it arrived on a Megaplex screen near you, last night. We were seeing each other on a weeknight, because I wanted to be one of the first to see it. While on the train home night I rang him, to confirm plans. I’d pick him and then we’d grab some noodles and see the movie at 8.30. I asked him to book the tickets over the internet when he got home, because I didn’t want to risk losing out to a massive queue. He agreed.

I got home, changed into jeans, fed and hugged Puss and Max, put the wet towels on the line, then jumped in the car and drove over to his place. We drove to the MacQuarie Centre talking about bad driving and bad days before being forced to park in the boondocks because it was late night shopping.

We found our way into the centre, he went to pick up the tickets while I went and ordered dinner. His noodle with chicken had already arrived by the time he appeared.

After dinner we had half an hour to kill so we hung out in Borders, fondling and fingering the books, but not actually buying any. Although I did find one I wanted to get, but as I don’t get paid for a few days, it’ll have to wait.

At about 8.25 I suggested we move to the cinema. On the walk I noticed he was holding his stomach. I asked if his tummy was sore.

‘It is a bit’

‘Did it starting hurting before or after dinner?’

‘A little bit before.’

‘Sounds like you need some nice soothing ice cream,’ I said with a broad grin.

‘Nah, don’t feel like any.’ Now I was a bit worried, he is the movie without ice cream, isn't a movie man.

‘What about a drink?’

‘Not tonight.’

‘You know, if you’re not feeling right I can take you home.’

At this point he stopped walking and produced a Gold Class envelope from under his jacket.

‘I knew you REALLY wanted to see this movie and I thought the no screaming kids option would be good.’

After I had stopped squealing and jumping up and down like an idiot, we walked through the Gold Class doors, I said with a smile and slap on him arm, ‘You know, people looking from the outside, might think that was really romantic.’

His reply, ‘You know me better than that.’

The movie was worth the $80. It was awesome. I stuck so closely to the graphic novel even costumes had been matched. It was amazing and when Silk Spectre got her jiggy-on still wearing her thigh high latex boots I was stunned, but awestruck.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh GOD! You still have the alpacas and I saw that movie too! It was awful!

Fran Carleton said...

I don't still have the alpacas, I was moving them as a favour to Les (he paid for a couple of courses for me in return).

As for the movie...wash your mouth out with soup young man! :-)