March 13, 2009

Friday 13th

My Friday 13th started out bit sh*t.

First the 0804 train I was getting arrived and left early. I can see the train station from the front gate and I KNOW I was on time. So I did a little run to try and catch it, ended up on the 0818 which was running four minutes late.

Now I work in North Sydney, I have to change train to get over the water, so I get off at Granville and change onto a North Shore train. Because of the early running of my usual train I wasn’t guaranteed a seat, on the 0826 out of Granville and in fact, because all the trains were running late, the train was packed to the gunnels.

After being thrown around a bit I asked if I could swap places with a young girl who was just standing with no assistance from any handholds, and sat on the downward step.

At Central, a shuffle of people resulted in several people leaving, but more people wedging themselves in. Then an announcement said, ‘This train will be a City Circle train due to problems on the Bridge. This will NOT be going over the bridge.’

Arghh!

I got off.

I found a RailCorp guy and asked, ‘Are any trains going over the bridge?’

‘Not at the moment love.’

So I set off to find a bus. The next bus didn’t leave until 0928. I was already late for work, so jumped in a cab.

The one system in Sydney can result in some rather interesting rides, but this morning I was grinding my teeth as the taxi drive about four kilometres in the wrong direction before finally getting on track. As we were driving across the Harbour Bridge, a train appeared to my left and over took us.

A few minutes later I climbed out of the passenger seat having paid $28.00 including the $4.00 bridge toll (it’s $3.00 after 0930) and walked into work at 0929.

Feeling much better now…looking forward to playing sideshow freak at a girlfriends dinner party tonight.

No comments: