January 19, 2008

House Hunting

I went house hunting today. I’m going to put myself through another move. So I dared to go out in the rain (yes, it’s been chucking it down since yesterday mid morning) and traipsed around Surry Hills and Ultimo seeing five houses.

The first was faking as a Surry Hill residence due to creative imagination of the agent. It was most definitely in Redfern. It was also wholly unsuitable to be inhabited. Even the hoards of students waiting to split the weekly rent by four were curling their noses.

The second was the end unit in a row of six, over three floors with a new kitchen polished wood floors and carpeted stairs. It was beautiful with more storage than I could poke a stick at, but also the most expensive of my selection for the day.

The third is a few doors down from my favourite pub. Is this a good thing? The house itself was nice and clean, wooden floors, the kitchen was neat with new appliances. I quite liked it.

The fourth on the corner of Devonshire and Bourke. From the outside it looked OK, but inside was a disaster. The bathroom was outside! I looked upstairs out of curiosity, one room had raw wood floors, another had lino, and not new lino, the old stuff they use for printing. The last one was at the front and the only one that anyone could live in. I left and put the info sheet in the bin.

The last required a walk across town. Just behind Broadway shopping centre was a small row of houses. The one I was looking at had a separate office, two bathrooms, a garage and two bedrooms. It was neat, but had no outside area. The owners where in attendance and weren’t 100% sure about Puss, and I get the feeling the wife would be a pain in the arse landlady.

Now all I have to do is decide if I’m going to apply for any of these or go see the one I have lined up for Wednesday.

No comments: