December 15, 2005

Cigarette Smoke

I like to think I am a tolerant person. I'm not a racist, I admire anyone who lives a life that some consider 'abnormal' and I generally don't mind people doing things in public that impact on my enjoyment of life.

But today, I came to the conclusion...smokers suck!

I was minding my own business, walking at lunch time when the woman in front of me lit up. My already mildly polluted air (I was walking along Castlereagh Street in Sydney, city) was replaced with a cloud of white cigarette smoke. The sun was shining and many were out for walks, so I was unable to get around her, so every few seconds, another puff of smoke filled the air around me. This is not the first time this has happened, but for some reason it really got to me and made my blood boil.

Finally, I was able to scoot around her, dodging the oncoming flow of people. I got to a set of traffic lights and waited with many others to cross.
While I was stand there, a man came to a stand still next to me (invading me personal space, somewhat). He lit a cigarette. After a few puffs, he put his hand to his side, then side stepped to get out of the way of a slimmer, taller, blonder woman.

Where did he side step to? I hear you ask. Well, right into me, burning a hole in my trousers. When I moved and exclaimed a massive 'What are you doing?' He looked at me as if I was mad. When I further explained that he had burnt my trousers, he shrugged and walked away as the traffic lights turned green for pedestrians.

I was left gapping like a goldfish on the sidewalk, with his fellow smokers parting around me like a stream around a rock.


I would like to offer my apoligies for this post to those smokers out there that are aware of the distress their habit causes others.

No comments: