November 30, 2005

Books...

Today I gave away 10 books, Sci-Fi, romance and biography. I took some of the books I have read and will not read again and gave them to the people of Sydney. It's something I like to do. I left some on the train in the morning and some in Hyde Park at lunch time.

Why do you do that, I hear you ask.

Well... it started when I got fleeced by a second-hand bookshop ($20 for over 50 books, I read a book and don't crack the spine or fold the pages) and told by a charity shop that they didn't want anymore books. When neither of those avenues wanted my books I gave up and now I just give them away directly but anonymously.
By the time I have dropped a few off and am on my way back the way I came, the books are normally gone. Whether it is an office worker lacking something to read or a homeless person I see that my taste in reading material is shared.

Actually it's a funny thing to watch one of them be picked up. I have seen it often. It goes a little like this:
• Person sits on bench and see book.
• Person looks around suspiciously.
• Person picks up book and reads the back blurb.
• Person looks around suspiciously again, just to make sure Candid Camara isn't going to jump out at them.
• Person either put book back or puts in bag or starts to read it.

I leave the erotica in my bookshelf; they get read over and over again ;-)

No comments: