November 21, 2011

Landlords

I’m slightly confused by how dumb people can be. When I say people I mean my landlord.

I’ve lived in the house I’m in for just over a year. When I moved in the fireplace and ceiling fan in the dining room were marked as working. Neither were and I ended up paying $330 to have the ceiling fan replaced and waiting nearly six months for the landlords to pay-up to have the fireplace fixed. We were already nearly two months into cold weather by the time they got around to it.

Now summer is rapidly approaching and the house with no cooling is heating up. So I posed a question to my landlord. Would you consider installing ceiling fans if I paid 50% of the cost? I provided them with three quotes.



I wasn't asking for anything fancy like this little beauty

They came back with the reply of ‘You may install the ceiling fans at your own cost’. Sounds like a bargain to me. Not!

Shorty after this exchange, I discovered that due the landlords having the bills sent here directly I had over paid the water bill by over $520. So I went back with the following suggestion.

‘Please install the ceiling fans by Christmas and you don’t need to reimburse me for the overpaid water bills.’

I’m pretty sure this reads as I’ll pay for the ceiling fans and improve your property with my own money.

Last night at half past midnight I received an email from the landlord asking for my bank details.

Is it just me that thinks these people are clearly idiots to refuse this offer? (Yes, I understand I’m a bit strange for offering, but I really need some cool air this summer) Meanwhile, I plan on buying a kickarse big fan and taking it with me when I move out.

No comments: