November 6, 2011

I thought you wanted a short answer?

Here’s the thing. I’m studying to be a wedding celebrant. I’ve attended the face-to-face part of the course and now I’m about half-way through the assignments.

Today I worked on a few, one about risk management., one about insurances and the other was a 20 point short answer recap on all the other elements of module…stuff about copyright, ongoing professional development and the role of a celebrant in the 21st century.

What is the role of the celebrant in Australian culture in 21st century?

That was easy to answer; My role is to assist people celebrate their special day in a way that is most fitting for them. In the case of weddings I am also there to facilitate the legal aspect of the ceremony.

That about sums it up I think.

Then there were some questions about how many hours of ongoing professional development is required each calendar year (five, in case you’re interested), then this one popped up:

What has been the historical evolution of the role of a Celebrant in both religious and spiritual contexts?

I immediate response was, ‘I don’t care, when did this become a certificate four in philosophy?’

While I believe there is a place for marriage in modern society, I do not believe there a place for God in every marriage ceremony. I also believe that same sex couples have a right to be married (after all why should they be spared the pain of divorce ;-). What I don’t get is how being able to answer this question has any bearing on my being a celebrant, good or otherwise.

I answered it and submitted the following answer:

'I’m sorry, but I don’t understand why this has bearing on my being a good celebrant. Although I would say the evolution has been to take the religious rigor out of wedding ceremonies for those who do not believe in God or are have inter-faith relationships.'

We can only wait to see what the Marker has to say, and I shall be raising this question as inappropriate and unnecessary when it come to course feedback time.

*thanks to Bunbury Marriage Celebrant for the picture

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You must be doing the same course and section as me. I am asking the same questions. Why, who cares, the object is to conduct a great service, legally and give the couple something to remember. I am sure that the history and all the other rubbish is not important

Jessie said...

I am up to this exact question. Totally unnecessary in my opinion aswell.

Anonymous said...

Just at the same question, having a hard time with it. i mean i am not religious and i don't want to perform religious ceremonies, so i don't really care about that right now or ever i guess!

Anonymous said...

I am almost a year behind you guys, but I have also just come that question, it is a little odd in my eyes also. How did you all go with finishing your studies?