May 17, 2011

Wiring

Why is it when we a presented with a circle we work clockwise?

A picture: Start at the top, move to the right and work your way around the bottom and back up the left side until you reach the top again.

A Cricket Oval: walk to the left and work your way around. If you were being watched from above, you’d be going clockwise. I tried walking to the right, but it felt strange.

I don’t know about you, but I also look at images in clockwise. What’s the first thing you notice about this image?



Then where did you look?

It’s just a theory of mine, but it could just be me. Feel free to debunk this generalist view if you like.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I came and had a look after you mentioned this yesterday. I drive people mad at the local walking track (it is around a sports oval) because I walk counter-clockwise. Always have and will now always will because the bizarre way it freaks others out. The path is wide enough that it does not really inhibit anyone prepared to keep left but I even get people muttering at me as they pass (as I usually do at least three circuits they give up after the second time past me). There are no rules posted anywhere saying I cannot walk counter-clockwise but clearly I am upsetting the natural order of the universe by doing so. BTW every few times I will come across another irritating soul do the same thing and think "you rebel" :)

Fran Carleton said...

Do I know you Anonymous? :-)

Anonymous said...

Think feline and where you were last Wednesday lunchtime and the answer will come to you :)

Fran Carleton said...

Ohh...why just give yourself a name!?

It's too hard trying to guess everytime you comment.

From now on, please sign your posts, Tiger :-)

Anonymous said...

Will do boss.
Tiger