January 6, 2009

Something to Do

The day of my freedom from work dawned a few hours before I actually got up, but I made an effort, because I needed to sleep well, ready for my return to bondage.

I had a few errands to run and popped into Parramatta on the bus. I went to the Post Office, Rebel Sport and couple of other places. Just Dorising really. I had lunch at my favourite Vietnamese eatery. Even though it was 35degrees I really fancied a pho. Chicken/beef broth with rice noodles, bean sprouts, beef brisket and mint, vey yummy and considered to be the national dish of Vietnam.

After lunch I wanted to do something. So I step on the next bus that pulled up. I asked the driver, ‘Do you end up in Merrylands?’

‘Oh, yes, but I take a while to get there. Why don’t you get the 802, it takes 5 minutes.’

‘Yeah, see I want to kill some time and see some stuff I haven’t seen before.’

A woman in the first seat laughed and said, ‘this bus goes to Greystanes.’

The old lady next to her, joined her with a hearty giggle.

‘I haven’t been to Greystanes,’ I said.

I paid a $1.90 and took a seat at the back.

My only mistake. I’d picked an unconditioned bus.

If I hadn’t have taken my random bus trip I would never have seen a streets named after me and a mate with the correct spellings (e for me, no h for him). I wouldn’t have seen the Sri Lankan temple with all its bells and whistles and icons. I wouldn’t have spotted the pet feed store and I wouldn’t have realised just how many lovely houses are in Greystanes.

I actually quite enjoyed my little trip. I think I might get on a random bus again.

No comments: