December 3, 2008

Triple Zero

I got into bed last night and I heard a pop, experienced eye watering pain and rapidly curled into a ball clutching my right knee. After a few seconds I managed to straighten out and found myself lying on the bed, starkers with my knee fixed and bent. Trying to move my knee resulted in searing pain down to my ankle and up to my hip. When I tried to move myself up the bed, any pressure on my right side caused pain in my knee.

I was well and truly stuck.

For over an hour I tried various things to straighten out. It was not to bad when I folded it up ore, but attempts to straighten resulted in pain like I haven’t experienced since first had my hip rebuilt 18 years ago. It hurt…A LOT

After an hour, I decided I only had one choice left. I’d texted a couple of mates to see if they were still awake (did I mention this started at about half past midnight) and received no response. So I called the Police Assistance line. After explaining the situation to the lady she asked to me,

‘Ma’am, if you are alone, and can’t move, it is an emergency. Hang up and call triple zero.’

I hung up.

Less than eleven minutes later an ambo officer was climbing through my kitchen window to my rescue.

A little massage later and another crunching pop sound and I was able to move my knee freely with a little residual pain.

I explained about having whooping cough and being mostly immobile for a week and before that having been on one crutch to support my right hip. The ambo guy hypostasised that this little incident may have been caused by my muscles and ligaments twisting suddenly due to the excess work of over compensating for my hip followed by mega rest.

If it happens again, I have to seek medical assistance.

They left by the front door having given me pain killers, propped my knee up and giggled at my embarrassment about having no clothes on.

No comments: