April 1, 2013

Make it Personal


It’s April Fool’s day today.  A day when people come out and make jokes about things that are funny.

Being involved with animal rescue and knowing people who have horses and the space for more I shared a plea on Facebook today about a horse based in Melbourne that was to be killed due to poor breeding lines if he didn’t find a home quickly.  I sent a message to the originator of the post (one Grace BL) to ask if it was a hoax, you know, just to confirm my suspicion.

I wrote ‘Knowing nothing about horses or breeds, I have posted the picture of the horse in need of a forever home on my page in good faith that it is genuine and not a hoax. Yet I read on your page that it's an April Fool's.
Could you please confirm if this is a genuine call for a forever home for a cross breed stallion?’

She confirmed that it was indeed a joke, because of the reference to Pegesus, Pegasuss don't exist in anyway shape or form and your the only one that got offended’.  She suggested I was the only one offended by the post.  I wasn’t offended, just upset for her.  That she felt it amusing to make jokes of such things.  She then accused me of not being able to take a joke.  I’m completely aware of the myth, but no knowing anything about horses it could well have been a breed as well.  After all a Labrador x Poodle is call a Labradoodle but there is no such breed.

I stupidly entered into a private conversation with this person, who incidentally, knows what a baby alpaca was called when I asked, I was stunned because otherwise she came across as being somewhat ignorant.

At one point she said ‘my sister is really disabled and even she isn't that stupid’.  If she really though I was stupid, surely likening me to her sister is unfair to her sister and why did she feel the need to mention she had a disabled sister?

Grace BL clearly know how to make a flame war personal, when she knows nothing about the person she’s flaming. 

I may have lowered myself to her level when I said ‘Wow...you're in rescue. I pity any animal that passes through your hands, because you have displayed a clear contempt for animal life today.’ I was referring to making a joke out of killing unwanted animals.

She replied with, ‘At least I know what I am doing you show contempt for animal welfare by not knowing what the f*ck you are on about. At least I know about animals, breeds and how to look after them.’  

Horses just aren’t my area of interest,  I shared the post with friends that do have an interest in horses, I deleted the post as soon as I realised it wasn’t a genuine plea for assistance.  I have often shared pleas for forever homes with friends that I know have interest in the area, it doesn't mean I have to be an expert myself.  Birds, cats, dogs, horses, music, cars and stereo equipment.  I shared it all.  I know bugger all about a lot of it and leave further research up to the person interested.  I know cats, dogs and camelids in the animal world.

I have a cat that was going to be put down her breeder because she was a poor example of the breed.  Oren is beautiful despite having a wonky tail.  Shemay not be a perfect Japanese Bobtail, but she didn’t deserve to die for that.   So I took her in,  had her de-sexed and she will live a happy and full life.  

Of course I questioned myself about whether I was being over sensitive to this post based on Oren and my active status in the animal rescue arena. Then Grace BL questioned how I survive April Fool’s each year.  I know how: I smile at Drop Bears, the Prime Minister getting a perm, and something else completely ridiculous.  Not a helpless animal being put to sleep because it’s a poor breed (regardless of intention and final word being the clue to the joke).

I ask that you read for yourself and you be the judge.  Read every word.  Did you at any point up until the final word think it was anything but genuine.  Would you have 'shared', but wondered?

Is this funny or could you have found it plausible as well?



I'm not devoid of humour, as anyone that knows me will tell you.  It's just this is at the expense of a voiceless (and indeed non-existent animal that cannot defend itself).  Perhaps, if the word 'Arabianxpergasus' had appeared at the top if may have be more clear as a humour piece.

(*Grace BL didn't sensor her use of the swear word, I did that for you.  Also, this is her artwork I had nothing to do with it creation).

1 comment:

Fran Carleton said...

There is now a petition to get this joke taken down and to let her know it not a joking matter:

https://www.change.org/petitions/grace-beadle-loveyoulots-take-down-the-joke-post-about-twilight?share_id=DiFBdFcFDw&utm_campaign=friend_inviter_chat&utm_medium=facebook&utm_source=share_petition&utm_term=permissions_dialog_false

Within a few moments of it being created, it had more than 1 signature, so that just proves, I'm not the only one that doesn't think it's funny