March 1, 2010

But, Is it Art?

The photographic artist, Spencer Tunick was at the Sydney Opera House this morning with over 5000 naked folks for a Mardi Gras inspired photography session.

I might have been temped to get in on the once-in-a-lifetime action, but frankly the 4am start put me off. Sleep is more important than art in my eyes. Between me and the cats, my house sees a lot of non-action.

I have however been interested by the debate that has started with the thought of people getting their kit off in public. Some think it's awful, some (and I missed this comment as it was deleted) think a bomb should have been dropped on the crowd (nice) and others started banging on about God and breastfeeding.

Below are a few actual comments (unedited) posted on the Yahoo newsfeed. I like the last comment most of all. :-)


David - No on got hurt and no one was forced into it and I'm sure thoughs involved had a good time Loosen up U guys theres people dieing in earth-quakes ect. whose to say the say thing can't happen here. Live once and enjoy it

Angela - hope men werent giving women the standing ovation...hahaha

Mustafa - Shouldn't they be arrested for public nudity?

jackrthom - Shudder, this must have been a gruesome sight! There are very few people in the world who look good with their clothes off. Most are simply revolting. If God meant humans to be naked he wouldn’t have provided us with silk worms or sheep. There is nothing artistic about this.

Holly - It not about art nor about loving your body.. I'm comfortable with my body yet i don't feel the need to get my kit off in public for pervets to see !!

Leanne - I wouldn't strip in public for anything, but good luck to those who did. They probably did it for a variety of reasons. So what! If you don't like it - don't look. I wish I had the nerve to do it, I'm sure it would be something that I would never forget, something to laugh about for...

Petra - Judging by the number of comments and the debate this has caused, I would say this is art at its best. And how does god come into this?

Scott - Forget the nudity. I'm more worried about all the illiteracy.

No comments: